Monday, 10 October 2016

Happy Friends Giving

Here is another adventure, I would like to go on.

I have been admiring Minki's blog for years already. Every post of hers has a sewing illustration that takes you on a journey - from every day lived scenes to a heart breaking children's pictures. I love sinking into the comfort of looking at her work. 


I have never dared to try anything like this, but secretly, I always wanted... I just wasn't sure, if I would be able to handle the disappointment. The day I decided to do this little candy bag as a gift, I must had been inspired by the upcoming Thanksgiving celebration with a friend, who is also crazy about fabric and who actually believes, that it doesn't matter how frustrating the surrounding could be, as soon as she is in a presence of some fabric, she is perfectly happy. So... what better present for Thanksgiving, but a handmade one?! I would probably would haven't still tried the drawing with thread and fabric, if it wasn't for the giving gesture.


I needed to copy the image on the fabric. What a challenge... I probably drew it four times before I was able to transfer it on a way to the main fabric, which I chose to be a cotton twill. No transfer paper, no special pans, so I had to be creative, but it took me probably three times the time I would have spent, if I had the gadgets. Who cares about that, though, my project is a go go and I was one step further than when I started.


My little personalized tag that is hanging on the side of the bag is the miniature card that keeps a tiny message. 


Who could resist a delicious, gently melting and perfectly smooth (believe it or not, I insist on smooth texture) Lindt chocolate truffles?! Especially, with their new flavour pumpkin spice. 


I loved machine sewing through most of the wreath. I had troubles with the tiny fruits and the leaves,  in cutting off these small pieces of fabric and keeping them in place, while machine stitching them, and by the time I was done, after hours on the machine desk, my whole body hurt... But I was pleased with the result. Now I know why Minki calls it 'sewing illustrations' - I was about to say something with my sewing. But I was far from done.


Some of the green leaves (most of them) I hand-stitched, as well as some of the red fruits, for which I used french knot stitch. The sign is hand stitched too, and lastly - the personalized tag.


There are so many lovely things about this project! I explored a completely new to me way of sewing through drawing pictures with the tools that I love using - a needle and some thread. I made a little unique bag to fill with chocolate, but it could be easily used as a lunch bag, or any other. And the best part of this story, I get to give it as a present.



No comments:

Post a Comment