Thursday 13 September 2018

On a fresh day like this...

One very special feature of the season coming, is the air - fresher, crisper, clearer. I always acknowledge that first - before the dressing-up of the trees and the sadness of the sky, before the wind becomes impatient, and before the Earth tucks in the last of the ready-to sleep roots of the plants. When I inhale the first signs of autumn, I know, it is time to prepare for a festival of warmness.

I am so happy, I live in a place, where this is the season when the school year starts - I still have a reason to create for someone - my girls are still around and growing :)

This year is special - it is the beginning of middle school, and my baby, although not completely sure, feels like she has to behave more maturely. It is the time, when inner war is strong and without a winner, nor a looser. She still insists on never growing up, but at the same time she is completely determined to solve her problems on her own. I look at her every day and see a different person - a one that knows exactly what this season is bringing and ready to face all the challenges. 

It may sound naïve, but I still make her cute things, helping her be a child for as long, as she wants. 
This pencil-case is one of the many things, I like experimenting with. It shows a lot about her personality - with the most simplified image of the hedgehog,to my very favourite fabric. 


My world is getting smaller and smaller every day - I find comfort in the littlest things, and only in ones with a big meaning. For every stitch I have a story, for every meal I prepare, I think of a conversation that it would provoke. My family is growing into a ginormous part of my world, and everything else starts diminishing. What I own doesn't matter. I only care for what I do not own.

The recipe for this pencil-case is adapted from Yoko Saito. 


The case is very generous in space. It can fit not only the pencils and pens, but erasers, sharpeners and other little gadgets, needed for school.


Materials used:

HAORI yarn-dyed cotton for the face, binding and lining
Belfast linen for the cross-stitched design
Daily Like Canada Zipper
Daily Like Canada cotton webbing strap
Pelon fusible foam
Leather tag

Cross-stitch design by Acufactum.


On a fresh day like this..., it is best to prepare for some last ice-cream adventures, few more fire wood burning nights with caramelized smores, and maybe last visit to the lakes or the ocean. Because there is a special crispiness to the air, that tells me that Autumn is near.


Happy happy season to all!

♥ Ivelina


No comments:

Post a Comment